Newark, New Jersey
"Burying Ground of Coeyman Family Has Been in Use for Two Centuries", Newark Daily Advertiser, August 20, 1904:
Perhaps no historic spot in Newark is less generally known than the Coeyman private burying ground, located near the junction of Riverside and Verona
avenues, in the north end of the city. The obscure spot almost surrounded by trees has been used continuously as a place of interment for more than two
centuries, and many interesting tales that are unquestionably true are told by persons whose lives have been spent in its vicinity.
The ground was first set aside for burial purposes by the family and has remained in the posession of its descendants ever since. There are many
branches of it still residing in Newark, and they continue to bury their dead in the plot used for the same purpose as their forefathers, who at one time
owned all of what is now Woodside.
Three Coeyman brothers came to this country from Holland late in the seventeenth century. Two of them settled in what is now known as Jersey City and
the third journeyed up the Hudson River. The place where he landed was named after him, Coeyman's Point.
The two in Jersey City did not fancy that locality and one of the brothers came here in a rowboat to pay a visit to the Indians for the purpose of purchasing
some land. A bargain was made and he returned to Jersey City to get his brother. Both came here and bought all of what is now Woodside, for $1 an acre.
They immediately set to work and built a brownstone house in Riverside avenue. They married and set out exploring the wild region. The land was
prepared for planting.
Nyler's Pond, which was filled in only a few years ago, was used to wash their clothes. At that time it was filled with pure water, and not a filthy pond as it
was when filled in.
The Coeymans had several slaves and finally one of these faithful negroes died. It was, of course, necessary to have a place to bury their dead. A plot of
ground several hundred feet distant from their home was selected and here the slave was buried.
The children grew up and it was soon their turn to prepare a burying place for their parents and they finally decided to enlarge the plot and make it a
private cemetery. As the years have passed on and the Coeymans and their relatives have died, it is here that they have been buried. The latest one to
be interred there was Mrs. Martha Jane Coeyman, of Summer avenue, who was buried during February of this year.
Location of Cemetery
The cemetery stands back in a woods and is not easily seen from the street. It has weathered the hard winters of two hundred years, and some of the
headstones are cracked, while some of the graves and small stones have disappeared. Among those is one which bore the date 1702. The oldest one to
be found to-day is that of Christina, wife of Aaron King, who died December 10, 1791; the next oldest is that of Anthony Wauters, who died on April 9, 1800,
and the third that of his wife, Mrs. Anthony Wauters, who died on October 8, 1802.
From the three brothers who came from Holland sprang all the Coeymans of the northern section of this city, while there are many relatives residing in
other towns. There are many relatives of other names. the cemetery has been kept in order by Peter McDonald, of Mt. Prospect avenue, a relative of the
Coeymans, since he was 12 years of age. It suffered much from the severe weather last winter, and repairs will be made very shortly. An old dwelling in
Summer avenue, near Verona avenue, was erected many years ago by Mrs. J. Alexander, a distant relative of the late Monroe Coeyman.
The family name has been spelled in three different ways: Cooyman, Queman, and Coeyman.
Gravestones at Coeyman Cemetery, Newark, New Jersey-1904
|Location of Coeyman Cemetery on Site of Verona Chemical Company
Robinson's Atlas of the City of Newark, New Jersey, 1926. Click to Enlarge
|Woodside Map of 1849 Shows Coeyman Residences
Woodside: The North End of Newark, NJ, C.G. Hine, 1909
The Verona Chemical plant site was sold in 1963 to Drew Chemical. A few years later the plant was demolished. The site is now a parking area for an
adjoining company. The cemetery was apparently paved over. There is speculation that the headstones were removed to a storage location somewhere
1) ColorantsHistory.Org thanks Jules Spohn for contributing the news article "Burying Ground of Coeyman Family Has Been in Use for Two Centuries",
Newark Daily Advertiser, August 20, 1904.
2) Old Newark web site, http://newarkcemeteries.com/woodside.php, accessed July 24, 2010
3) Woodside: The North End of Newark, NJ, C.G. Hine, 1909, online at http://openlibrary.org/books/OL22896815M/Woodside_the_north_end_of_Newark_N._J.
accessed July 24, 2010. Includes history of Coeyman family and facts about their cemetery.
|1966 Aerial Showing Wooded Area of the
Coeyman Cemetery Still Standing Near
Demolished Verona Chemical Plant.
Photo: HistoricAerials.com. Click on Photo
for Enlarged Version at HistoricAerials.com