Albany Coal Tar Dye and Chemical Company
Reproduction of article "Albany Coal Tar Dye and Chemical Company", Albany Illustrated, The Argus Co., Albany, 1893, pp. 56-57:
Of the many important benefits conferred upon humanity by chemical research, one of the most valuable, from commercial point of view, is the production
from coal tar of varied and beautiful aniline dyes, now so universally employed in the arts. Among the first to engage in this now great industry were the
predecessors of the Albany Coal Tar Dye and Chemical Company, which was organized to carry on the business May 1, 1889. This extensive works of the
company front on Broadway, Vine and Church Streets, and with the appurtenances cover about two acres of ground. The buildings are many and are of
brick, one, two, three and four stories high, and the equipment is of the best class, including every device and appliance required in the business, the
plant representing an investment of $150,000. The dyes are made by the latest and most improved processes, and are pronounced of the highest grade in
use among progressive manufacturers of cotton, woolen and other textile fabrics in all parts of the United States, and are rapidly growing in favor. One of
the most important products of the company is the new dye, Azamine, which dyes cotton a permanent brilliant scarlet without the use of a mordant.
Chemists for generations have labored in the development of coal tar dyes, and it is but recently that a chemist discovered a dye which has the property
of dyeing cotton directly on the fiber. This was a most important discovery, and many chemists of Europe at once sought to discover other coal tar dyes
possessing the same property, but with little success, none being equal in Azamine, for which this company owns the patent. The company are the
exclusive manufacturers of nigrosene in the United States; and their laundry blue is used by many of the largest laundries in the country. A leading
specialty is the well known paper-blue, a grade of dye unsurpassed, if equaled, by similar goods produced elsewhere. Acme brown, chrysoidines,
cardinals, indulines, and orange dyes are also made here.
Although but three years in existence, this company stands first among manufacturers of its kind, owning and controlling many products of its own
discovery and patenting, and and besides these products the concern is also engaged in the manufacture of all basic and ordinary aniline dyes.
There is no company whose officers are better known or who are in better standing in financial circles than those of this company. Mr. John L. Riker, of
New York, is President; Rupert G. Williams of London, Eng., Vice-President, and William J. Matheson, of New York, Secretary and Treasurer. The firm of
William J. Matheson & Co. (limited), are the general agents for this company, with offices in New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Providence.
Albany Coal Tar Dye and Chemical Works, 1893. Click to Enlarge.
|Ad for the Albany Coal Tar Dye and Chemical Company
Source: Albany Illustrated, 1893
Note from ColorantsHistory.Org: The Albany Coal Tar Dye and Chemical Company went out of business after only a few years of operation. William J.
Matheson transferred some dye manufacturing to Brooklyn but that operation closed down as well. He would become president of the largest dye
manufacturer, National Aniline and Chemical Company, in 1918.
|The predecessor company of the Albany Coal Tar Dye and Chemical Co. was
the Albany Aniline and Chemical Co.. The smokestack in the center of the
image denotes the location of the dye manufacturing works.
Image: Map of Albany by Beck and Pauli, 1879, Library of Congress
Copyright © 2007 by ColorantsHistory.Org. All Rights Reserved.